I've always been a cook once, eat twice sort of home cook. This is the perfect recipe to do over the course of an afternoon and warm up for lunch or dinner later in the week, as I think it benefits from sitting for a day or two. It can also be served spicy with the addition of some gochujang, or served with clear starch noodles rather than soba.
Adapted from Hyosun at Korean Bapsang
3 pounds short ribs, whole or sliced for soup
1 medium onion, quartered
2 large scallion, sliced thinly, whites and greens seperated
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small korean radish, scrubbed
2 in ginger, washed and cut coarsely
4 T soup soy sauce (OR 4 T SOY SAUCE) + more to taste
4 bundles buckwheat soba noodles
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 16 OZ JAR Culturebox WHITE KIMCHI
- Soak the ribs for 30 minutes in cold water. Drain.
- Fill a large pot with 2 quarts water.. Bring water to a boil, and then drop the ribs in. Let it come back to a boil. Continue to boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain the ribs. Wash them under running water. Clean the pot.
- Return the ribs back to the pot. Add 3 1/2 quarts of water, onion, scallion whites, garlic, ginger, and radish. Add 2 tablespoons of soup soy sauce (use less if your soup soy sauce is dark and more salt). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium..
- Continue cooking, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove all the vegetables. Transfer the radish to a cutting board.. Discard the other vegetables.
- Add 2 cups of water. Boil, covered, for about an hour until the meat is tender.
- Remove meat to cutting board.. Remove bones and trim of any gristle. Slice radish into 1 1/2-in cubes. Toss both with remaining 2T soup soy sauce, scallion whites, garlic, and sesame oil and transfer to fridge.
- Strain broth and cool until fat solidifies..
- Don't throw away that beef fat! Carefully remove as much solidified fat as possible. and strain broth into a new container. Heat the fat in a saucepan over medium.-low heat until it starts to sizzle as the water boils out. Let it cook until it stops sizzling, then strain into a container.. This beef fat will keep for a couple of months in the fridge and can be used for frying or cutting into pastries.
- Boil noodles 3-4 minutes and drain. Heat up broth with seasoned beef and radish.
- Serve soup over noodles and garnish with CultureBox White Kimchi and scallion greens.