Here is a better tasting, meatless version of the perennial takeout favorite. It's sweet and sour, crispy-gone-soft, weeknight dinner goodness. For a gluten-free version, omit the flour and use only cornstarch in your dry mix. For a vegan version, add 1 T baking powder to dry mix, add amazake and about 1 1/2 cup seltzer water to make a batter.
Makes: 4 servings
1 head Cauliflower, cut or broken into ~1 in florets
750 ml Canola Oil or preferred fat for deep-frying
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Corn Starch
3 T Lemaster Family Kitchen "Rub It Right" Seasoning or preferred spice blend
1 tsp Garlic Powder
¼ cup Brown Rice Amazake
Kosher Salt, to taste
4 oz Cara Cara Marmalade
2-inches Ginger, peeled and grated
¼ cup Soy Sauce
6 drops Sesame Oil
2 cup White Rice, cooked, for serving
1 Scallion, sliced thin
- Heat oil to 365-375° in dutch oven or large cast iron pan.
- Whisk together Flour, cornstarch, and any seasoning.
- Whisk eggs and amazake in a separate bowl.
- Dip cauliflower florets first in the dry mixture, then the egg wash, and back into the dry mixture. Add to oil in batches, occasionally turning cauliflower while adjusting heat to stay at 365-375°
- Cook until golden brown, 5-8 minutes. Remove to towel lined plate, and season with salt while still hot
- Whisk together Cara-Cara Marmalade, grated ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Transfer fried cauliflower to bowl and drizzle orange sauce while tossing.
- Immediately serve on a bed of rice and garnish with scallion.